The mission of WNCCTC is to create jobs in western North Carolina by connecting intellectual property and ideas from individuals, institutions and companies from within and outside the region with people and organizations that can commercialize those resources. It serves businesses, inventors, entrepreneurs and universities everywhere.
The technology transfer and commercialization efforts:
- Serve businesses by commercializing technologies from inventors and entrepreneurs, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, and other research laboratories and universities.
- Seek new innovations that could provide economic opportunities to the region.
- Serve higher educational institutions and research universities by assisting in the identification of intellectual property management and commercialization opportunities.
- Serve inventors and entrepreneurs from across the region by providing assistance in technology, market assessment and business planning, as well as creating a team of experienced mentors to nurture promising ventures.
- Serve existing businesses in the region by providing links to technology resources and experience that are not currently available.
Asheville – Buncombe Technical Community College manages WNCCTC in conjunction with the Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Other partners in this effort are AdvantageWest (BREC is an AdvantageWest initiative), Buncombe County, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Tech 20/20 Center for Entrepreneurial Growth, Education and Research Services, Clemson University, the University of South Carolina, the University of Tennessee and Virginia Tech.